GRACE:

noun...1. seemingly effortless beauty or charm of movement, form, or proportion.

Grace Gardens is...

This blog's purpose is for me to keep a garden journal of sorts. To detail some of the things that I accomplish in the garden and a little of what I do in my home as well. It will also be a place where I will post the photos that I love to take so much. Maybe a place to post my overflowing of pictures that I particularly like or find artistic. Some posts will be wordy...and some may have no conversation at all. Just a post to bring back to mind a lovely day or a meaningful memory. I have disabled the comments on this blog, but feel free to e-mail me for any questions about what you see here. My e-mail address can be found in my profile.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Late July garden shots in August


A little behind on the garden pictures here.

Most of these were taken in late July.


these two photos were taken in front of the studio.





 Here are a few of the annual pots on the front porch.


Our Spring was so cold and the pots are about three weeks late this year.
They haven't really had time to fill out yet.
But I love the deep purples and chartrues in them this year.






The sweet potato vine was really stunted by the cold and never has grown.
The color is sure pretty though.














The clematis in this photo is 'The President' and the rose in the background is
a hardy climber 'Henry Kelsey'





The shasta daises put on a big show this season.




















The roses didn't fair well this past Winter because of the extreme cold and wind we had.
All but 11 out of the 43 died all the way back to the ground.
Because all are on their own rootstock, they came back nicely and
bloomed moderately good this Summer.



This little rosebud is on the John Cabot and in the background is William Baffin.
Both of these roses Wintered just fine, thank goodness.
They are two of my favorite varieties in this zone 3/4 garden.





John Cabot









William Baffin









'House Hybrids' scabiosa













Bloom on the lady's mantel with Jupiter's beard (or centranthus) red valerian)) in the background.




snow in summer growing along the front walk












Lots of color in the garden right now and I had better get out in it and get some
photos taken.
I've been getting some weeding and deadheading done now that I am able to work again,
and it feels wonderful to be back at it.

I feel good as new!